Subscribe now to get updated when we add new articles, activities, crafts, stories, fingerplays, parenting advice and more. You will be updated each time we add a new article to ChildFun. (This replaces our previous newsletters.) Click here to subscribe!
Make this beautiful basket for a friend, neighbor or relative to show them how much you love them.
Provided by Heidi Ott.
Paper or Ribbon ( 6" each of: red 2" wide, white 2" wide, red 1/4 " wide)
1. Click here to print the pattern pieces (red piece and handle). Cut the pattern pieces along outer edge. Using the red piece as a guide, cut out a white piece. You should now have a red piece, a white piece and a red handle. Stack the red and white pieces together and fold along the fold line. Cutting through both pieces, cut the center slit as shown on the red pattern piece. Separate the two pieces and refold each separately.
2. Hold both pieces at an angle as shown in Fig. 1.
3. Take the top red strip and slip it through the top white strip (Fig. 2).
4. Open the top red strip and slip the bottom white strip through the red strip (Fig. 3).
5. Open the bottom red strip and slip the top white strip through it (Fig. 4).
6. Open the bottom white strip and slip the bottom red strip through it (Fig. 5).
7. Glue the ends of the handle piece to the heart to form a basket (Fig. 6).
Cut one 2" wide red ribbon 6" long. Fold in half. Cut the raw edges so they are rounded. Starting at the center of the folded edge, cut a 2" slit going towards the curved edge. Repeat with 2" white ribbon. To weave the basket follow directions 2-7 of the paper basket.
Fill with small treats and give to family and friends.
This activity is perfect for little girls who love Disney movies and dream of becoming a princess. It's ideal for birthday parties or sleepovers and can be done any time of year. Almost all Disney movies have a romance story in them, from Cinderella to Beauty and the Beast to The Little Mermaid and little girls are famous for dreaming up big fairy-tale weddings. Why not have the girls create wedding invitations for the characters in their favorite movies? You can use this site:http://www.mixbook.com/cards/wedding-invitations to get an idea of what real wedding invitations look like and you can also visit www.coloringbookfun.com to get printable pictures of the characters. This activity can be simple with just the use of some paper and crayons, or you can go all out with decorating the invitations using glitter, ribbon and any other craft supplies you have on hand. You could even stage a pretend wedding! The options are endless and no matter how simpleor complex you make it, it's sure to result in a great time!